Pages

Friday 15 April 2011

Light Chocolate Chip Muffins

Ahem, so I know I said I would be posting some healthier baking recipes but ummm, the thing is ... that I've been too busy making full butter, full sugar, full chocolate recipes to fit in any healthy baking. *sigh* I'm just one of those people who would much rather have a small piece of something decadent and thoroughly bad for me (though I hardly ever stop at one piece), than a huge chunk of something healthier but not as tasty! But I know I'm going to have to readjust my attitude a bit and there are some advantages to healthier baking. For example, whereas I try to have the naughty stuff I bake only on weekends, I could have one of these muffins every day during the week without feeling guilty and still enjoying some sort of treat. 
So I'll bake more healthy stuff more often. I promise. Or I'll at least try really hard!

These muffins from Weight Watchers "Seriously Satisfying" cook book are pretty good. Apart from the low fat margarine and skimmed milk, everything else is normal, full fat stuff. And like most muffins, they're very easy to put together, so give 'em a go. I'm glad I did.


ProPoints value per recipe: 46
ProPoints per muffin: 4
Makes 12


Ingredients
200g plain flour
2 tsps baking powder
75g caster sugar
a pinch of salt
1 egg, beaten
200ml skimmed milk
25g low fat spread, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 vanilla pod
40g dark chocolate chips
40g white chocolate chips


1 - Preheat oven to Gas Mark 6/200C/fan oven 180C
2 - Line the muffin tin with the muffin cases
3 - Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl and stir in the sugar and salt
4 - In a separate bowl, beat together the egg, milk, low fat spread and vanilla
5 - Add the egg mixture to the flour with the chocolate chips and stir together until just combined. As with all muffins do not over stir; it is better to have a slightly lumpy texture
6 - Spoon into the muffin cases and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and risen


7 Cool on a wire rack

4 comments:

Onada said...

these look so yummy! you owe me sooooo many baked goods now :)

Anonymous said...

Looks soooo yummy! I love the white and dark chocolate chips...I bet they taste amazing! :)

Unknown said...

There was a point in time where alll I had for Breakfast were muffins. I definitely can't try dat now I wud so balloon up, lol. Tis looks so good, can u pls mail me 1.'

N.I.L (Naijamum in London) said...

I just stumbled on your blog and I think I'm in love. I've just made myself a cup of tea and starred at the pages for over 30 minutes - drooling badly.

I went crazxy(cooking-wise) at easter and I promised to relax for a while....but seeing all these new recipes....I guess one only lives once so...

I'm def popping you on my blogroll 'cos I love trying out new recipes - so thanks!!